Monday, January 19, 2009

The Great Divorce

Any of you who have tapped into the wonderful world of C.S. Lewis know what I mean when I say "Woa!" I don't know why I waited so long to get started on his collection. The Great Divorce is the first I've read and I am hooked. I fell in love with his imagery and captivating & eloquent dialog. This book really made me rethink my views on Heaven and Hell and how we "chose" one or the other. Each character in this book depicts so many typical attitudes and lifestyle we take on ourselves and how our attitude enevitably decide where we end up. I was ashamed and humbled as I recognized a little of myself in some of the characters who just weren't interested in staying in "heaven". The book is far too complex to get into so I simply suggest you read it for your self. If anything you will be smarter from his dynamic vocabulary and the conversations that take place in the book. I truly wish adults still had such sophisticated conversations in our day. I annoy myself so much now when I find myself using my favorite words such as freaking, sucks, and holy crap. My goals from this book are to broaden my vocabulary, change which characters of the book I personafy and STOP using caddy and trashy phrases. (old habits die hard so stop me if you catch me in the act). Overall I'd like to find a way to remember the lessons in this book daily to keep myself from forgetting my true purpose in this tempory stage of God's great plan! I'm so grateful to have books, talks and music to reroute me when I sway to far. We are seriously so lucky to be in an age where these resources are so readily available to us. It should make living the gospel so much easier and yet I still feel so far from where I need to be. Urgh!

3 comments:

Marily said...

Great points Becki. I LOVE The Great Divorce. I remember I use to be totally stumped as to why someone would not choose heaven over hell, considering the great happiness that heaven has to offer. This book is what gave me a new perspective on that question. And don't we all have things that we are not quite ready to give up for heaven? Also, I was watching Pride and Prejudice the other night and afterwords noticed I was speaking more nicely. It made me want to read some more.

Colton said...

The Great Divorce is really good. I didn't make it through The Screwtape Letters. They are more like vignettes, anyway.

My favorite by far is Mere Christianity. He rocked my socks straight off!

Jen said...

I love C.S. Lewis. I read The Screwtape Letters and it was amazing. I will have to pick up The Great Divorce soon!